Welcome to the Yacht Racing Association of San Francisco Bay, the primary organization supporting competitive racing in Northern California. Through our efforts to promote, coordinate and administer organized racing, we make competitive sailing in the Bay Area possible.
In all we do, the YRA acts as an advocate for sailing in the Bay. We pride ourselves on being responsive to the racing needs and desires of our members. From maintaining buoys, assisting with race management, appeals, and administering PHRF Certificates, to acting as the liaison for the Coast Guard, the YRA ensures races happen in a fair, safe, fun and competitive way for racers at all levels.
In addition to making sure competitive racing functions smoothly, we strive to expand the interest and awareness of yacht racing beyond the sailing community to all those who love San Francisco Bay and dream of sailing through programs such as our Racer Socials. By sharing our sport, we hope to engage newcomers and expand our community.
Membership to the YRA gives you a voice in the way racing in San Francisco Bay happens and helps to ensure the continued growth and support of racing in Northern California. Memberships are available to individual sailors as well as Bay Area Yacht Clubs. The annual fee for an individual member to belong to the YRA is $50. You can purchase a membership online here.
YRA Membership is required to race in all YRA sponsored races. While a YRA membership is not required to obtain an NCPHRF Certificate, significant discounts on PHRF fees are available to YRA Members.
What are my membership fees used for?
Here are some of the activities that your membership dollars help support:
- The YRA maintains many of the racing marks found in San Francisco Bay. Nearly all racers use this system of permanent buoys.
- The YRA administers the NCPHRF (Northern California Performance Handicap Racing Fleet) rating system. PHRF certificates have made it possible for different types of boats to race together competitively in all varieties of regattas from Ocean races, weekend races, beer can races, midwinters, and entry-level events.
- The YRA coordinates the racing schedule. The master calendar helps avoid conflicts among all racing events- big, little or growing.
- The YRA administers the US Sailing Area G Appeals Committee. The appeals committee handles all all protest finding appeals, regardless of whether or not it was a YRA event.
- The YRA serves as the sailing communities liaison with the US Coast Guard and local government organizations. It can organize lobbying efforts as necessary in the interest of all racing sailors.
- The YRA coordinates the US Coast Guard blanket permit process for all member yacht clubs. This entails the recording, coordinating, and scheduling of over 800 individual races on the San Francisco Bay.
For more information on Yacht Club Membership, click HERE
View our Bylaws HERE.